Tuesday, April 20, 2010

ODS #2: Attacks on my supposed self-sovereignty

There were many shocks to my system at Officer Development School.  Many of these shocks God is using to shape me.
Perhaps one of the first big shocks (other than the cold) was the realization that I now had very little control over my life.  I once heard a Marine Drill Sergeant explain that one of the goals of boot camp training was to take away all creature comforts so that they can realize how much they take those things for granted.  I never realized how much I valued my personal freedom until I arrived at ODS.  Here every minute of every day had been meticulously planned for me, and no one ever asked me what I thought about it.  Mel Gibson once said while wearing a skirt and curly fake mullet, "they can take our lives, but they can never take our freedom!"  Not true.  The military is all about taking your (voluntarily surrendered) personal freedom in order to uphold the corporate freedoms of others.  At ODS, I was told what to wear, when to wear it, when to shower, when to sleep (whenever you can!), what to eat, where to stand, what to say, how to make my bed, where to put my shoes - everything.
I quickly came to realize that I was not in control, Senior Chief and the rest of the Chain of Command was.  And there was nothing I could do about it.  I had a choice: push against or play along.  While there were and are still things in me that pushes against these threats on my ilusory self-soverienty, I decided to play along as best I could.
That was a big deal for me, giving up control.   Through the process I began to realize how much this was really a heart issue.  I realized how much I still had to surrender over to God, the real Sovereign in my life.  Even as I write this there are glaring strongholds of sinful control that I am battling to give over.  My guess is that you are facing a similar struggle.  I want to end this post here with a verse and a thought:
- "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me."  - Galatians 2:20
- A Serviceman or woman who refuses to surrender their personal control and preferences will not last long in the military.  What about a follower of Christ who refuses to recognize the control of their King in every area of their life?

2 comments:

  1. Brother! I just found this blog and read all your posts. You are such an encouragement to me in your life for the glorious cause of Christ. It is great to hear all of the things you are learning and all of the spiritual applications you make. I wish i could have had an experience like yours.
    You make me proud son.
    Sincerely,
    Your former RA

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the encouragement brother! Hope you are doing well and bearing fruit where you have been planted.

    ReplyDelete